Saturday marks the first of October; the month which the Church dedicates to the Holy Rosary. For years, even centuries, Our Lady has been appearing to her children around the globe calling for conversions and prayers. One prayer most specifically, and importantly, being the Holy Rosary. She wants us to pray more the Rosary, and with very good reason.
To the human eye the Rosary may not look like much; a frail, humble cord with some beads and a crucifix. But in reality, the Rosary is the best weapon a Christian could have. As St. Paul wrote, our battle is not with human enemies, but with the forces of darkness [Ephesians 6:12]. And knowing we are stuck in the middle of this spiritual warfare, Our Lady has been calling for us to take up arms by means of the Holy Rosary.
Given the immense moral decline in the world, rising tensions within and around nations, corruption, terrorism, and even the current state of the Church, it’s abundantly obvious spiritual warfare is at play here, trying to chip away at whatever peace, order, faith, and stability we once had. By our own human strength we cannot possibly achieve to drive out evil by ourselves. But with the power of prayer, and God’s grace it most certainly can be achieved. Which is why Our Lady is here among us! She is teaching us not only to pray, but to understand the limitless power of prayer and believe strongly!
Here are just a few examples of Our Lady talking about the Rosary:
- Visionary Marija Pavlovic asks Our Lady what she wishes to recommend to the priests, and she responds, “I invite you to call on everyone to pray the Rosary. With the rosary you shall overcome all the adversities which Satan is trying to inflict on the Catholic Church. All you priests, pray the Rosary! Dedicate your time to the Rosary!” (6/25/85)
- “Dear children! Today, like never before, I invite you to prayer. Let your prayer be a prayer for peace. Satan is strong and desires to destroy not only human life, but also nature and the planet on which you live. Therefore, dear children, pray that through prayer you can protect yourselves with God’s blessing of peace. God has sent me among you so that I may help you. If you so wish, grasp for the rosary. Even the rosary alone can work miracles in the world and in your lives. I bless you and I remain with you for as long as it is God’s will. Thank you for not betraying my presence here and I thank you because your response is serving the good and the peace.” (1/25/91)
- “I call all priests and religious brothers and sisters to pray the rosary and to teach others to pray. The rosary, little children, is especially dear to me. Through the rosary open your heart to me and I am able to help you.” (8/25/97)
- “I am the Lady of the Rosary. Pray the rosary every day to obtain peace for the world.” (1917)
San Damiano, Italy:
- “This Rosary is the secure port of your salvation. For this I have come upon the earth: I want everyone to recite the Holy Rosary which is the most powerful weapon for saving yourselves, for receiving graces, and for obtaining comfort during the sad hours.” (5/8/69)
- “Hold tightly to me with your Rosary which is your strength, your sustenance, your defense on this earth and above all at the hour of your death. The rosary is your most powerful armor.” (4/17/70)
St. Padre Pio wasn’t kidding when he said, “the rosary is the weapon.” It is a powerful instrument for conversion, and will bring great peace and holiness in your life. It is also the best way to honor both Jesus and Mary since the prayer is Christocentric, meditating on the life, passion, death and resurrection of Jesus as well as the mission Mary received from God.
The feast day of the Holy Rosary is held on October 7th to commemorate the triumphant victory at the Battle of Lepanto. A most convincing military victory proven to have been won by prayer of the Rosary and the powerful intercession of our Holy Mother, Mary.
As a tribute to Our Lady and the Rosary, I’m going to be sharing five Medjugorje messages every Saturday (one per decade of the Rosary) throughout the month of October. You can use the messages as a meditation-companion while praying the daily rosary; something I personally often do when I pray the rosary. I’ll also try to write some more reflections on the rosary this month as well.
Much of what happens in our lives and in the world depends on our prayers. And the whole world is in need of more prayers, that’s for sure. Let us take the call to prayer seriously, and make our Mother happy by dedicating more of our time and hearts to the daily rosary!